There are some websites you visit which are easy to navigate, some which you leave an impression on you for a long time, and some which make you feel lost as a user. Have you ever wondered why do you experience this? Good content may be, but Good design definitely! Is there a secret recipe for these web designs? Well, not really but there are certain web designing principles leading to good, appealing and effective web sites.
OGEN, which is among the Top 5 Website Designing Company in Delhi, provides utmost attention to design detail while developing a website for its customer. Because we as a Website Designing Company understand that your website is the face of your business.
As a Website Designing Company in Delhi, OGEN believes in these key website designing principles to be effective at communication, navigation, compatibility, load time, etc.
1. Objective: your website and each page in it should have a clear objective. Depending on your business, or the need of the user each page should clearly mention what it is about. Example of this Contact Us or Reach Us page should mention contact details of the business only.
2. Uniformity: This is an important aspect of website design. The look and feel of your website should remain consistent throughout, as this creates an identity for your brand. Example of uniformity includes maintaining the same font size for headings, sub-heading, and body text of all pages of the website.
3. Communication: Communication is a key aspect of your website. Write content appropriate and easy to read the language. Avoid writing long paragraphs or long sentences in your content. Use SEO keywords appropriately. Use bullet points, bold style, subheads, underline important text whenever necessary.
4. Imagery: Using relevant images, icons, .gifs, or infographics is important. High-quality images, icons are gives a clean and engaging appeal o your website.
5. White Space: Intelligent use of white space helps the reader to engage with your web pages effectively. Do not look at white space as a waste of online real estate. It safeguards users’ eyes from getting stressed reading and looking for the right information from the clutter. For example, important call to action buttons such as Buy or Purchase is not missed out by readers, if there is an appropriate white around such elements. This also involves padding as mentioned in CSS.
6. Quick Load Time: Patience is a rarely seen element these days among users in the ‘instant era’. A thoughtfully designed website also helps in lesser loading time. An example such as optimizing image size is one way of reducing the loading time of the website.
7. Navigation: Do you find navigating easy for some website and there are times when you have kept looking for the right page or your next click. Apart from a technically sound website, the design should be easy and clear for the user to move around the website. There is a principle called three-clicks whereby the user should be able to find information within three clicks. However, this rule also has several critics challenging it.
8. Typography: Use font type that is easy to read for the users, thus enhancing the readability of the website. The main function of typography is to communicate the message or information to the readers. Thus, it also helps achieve the accessibility and usability of the website. Avoid using a number of font types in a single website. Use font type that is readable in various font size and viewing screens. It is said that 60 characters per line are ideal from a readability perspective. Spacing between lines is also pivotal to your design. Use ‘all caps’, only when required such as a NOTE, CAUTION, IMPORTANT, etc. Font size and type should be such that characters or alphabets are seen as distinct.
9. Left to Right Rule: Allow your users to read from top to bottom and left to right manner. If you have observed, for over years newspapers have followed this pattern when the topmost headline starts from left and the least important information gets right bottom corner. The Z pattern is the natural visual flow for readers and users.
10. Compatibility on All Devices: In today’s world the user has moved on from consuming data on a desktop to laptop to mobile or tablet. Thus, make your website dynamic and responsive.
11. Having mentioned these web designing principles, there are certain common elements such as logo and title, main navigation or menu bar at the top, changing of colors for links, an image of carton e-commerce sites, etc.
Knowing these web designing principles are crucial for both the designer and client so that a mutually agreeable appealing web design is generated. Thus, we as one of the best web designing companies in India believe in keeping the web design simple as over-designing can ruin its message or purpose. We believe in making customer-centric websites so that it is impactful and helps to make communication easier to the end-user. We believe that every brand has a personality and we try to bring out that personality through your website.